Initial MacOS Setting Changes
These are the settings in the UI I change when I get a new Mac or I re-install MacOS:
- Settings -> Keyboard: Enable Use F1, F2, etc keys as standard function keys.
- Settings -> Keyboard: Turn keyboard backlight off after 5 seconds
- Settings -> Keyboard -> Text
- Disable Correct spelling automatically
- Disable Capitalize words automatically
- Disable Add period with double-space
- Settings -> Dock and Menu Bar
- Disable magnification and adjust size appropriately.
- Position on screen: Right (as long as it’s not at the bottom we are cool)
- Disable all but “Show indicators for open applications” and Automatically hide and show the menu bar in full screen.
- Settings -> Siri
- Voice Feedback -> Off
- Disable Allow Siri when locked
- Settings -> Accessibility -> Siri -> Enable Type to Siri
- Settings -> Desktop & Screen Saver -> Hot Corners..
- Top Left: Mission Control
- Top Right: Lock Screen
- Bottom Left: None
- Bottom Right: Mission Control
- Finder -> Preferences -> General
- Disable all but External Disks
- New Finder windows show: Downloads
- Finder -> Preferences -> Sidebar
- Disable Recents
- Disable Recent Tags
- Finder -> Preferences -> Advanced
- Enable Show all filename extensions
- When performing a search: Search This Mac
These settings are done via the command line:
- Save screenshots as JPG:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg
- Install Homebrew:
/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"
Must Have Utilities